Steel is an alloy of iron and of course carbon. Unlike iron, steel can resist rust which makes it a more durable metal, while also being inorganic and therefore, it does not warp, split, or creep. Buildings made of steel will stay stronger for a longer period than those made of iron and that is the reason why it is such a great type of material to use in construction of your steel buildings AZ.
Here are some pro steel facts that should interest you if you are trying to decide on what material to go with for your buildings:
• Steel has a high strength-to-weight ratio. Strength-to-weight ratio refers to the strength of material in relation to its weight. This strength enables steel to resist from bending; therefore, it can easily hold the weight of a building.
• Steel is highly flexible. It can be easily molded into any desirable shape. The designers have the freedom of designing buildings in any way. This property boosts its use in construction.
• Steel has dimensional stability. It can withstand changes in temperature or moisture without a change in their shape and size. Buildings made of steel retain their shape irrespective of changes regarding environmental conditions.
• Steel has low thermal conductivity compared to other metals. It is used when extra protection against harsh weather conditions among other factors is needed. That is why it is used in the building of doors and windows.
• Steel is affordable. Unlike many other alloys, it is very economical to manufacture. Its recyclability also reduces its cost of production so it can actually reduce the cost of construction.
• Steel and concrete share the same thermal expansion coefficient. When they are heated, their strain experiences are almost the same hence eliminating the formation of internal stress. There is the maintenance of the bond strength between the two materials. That is why there are no cracks in buildings constructed using steel.
• Unlike most building materials, steel is 100% recyclable. It can be reused without losing any of its properties. Products made of steel are always recycled, and no part is lost. It is a very environment-friendly product.
• Steel is not combustible. It is made of non-combustible products. In the case of fire outbreak, there is no fear of further fueling from steel. Buildings made of steel are safer in case of fire outbreak than those made of other materials like timber.
These are the most relevant reasons why you should use steel in construction, hopefully you now have a better understanding of its properties and use.